How To Order Drinks If You Don’t Drink Alcohol
For those of you who don’t know, I don’t drink.
Whether you had a bad experience, are religious, pregnant, working out, etc. the fact of the matter is that there are others.
This can be an issue for those of us who work in an industry where our co-workers like to socialize in venues where alcohol is served.
Many non-alcoholics (you like that?) I’ve met feel uncomfortable because they don’t know what to order and everyone is asking them why they don’t have a drink in their hand. This then often transitions into exclusion from events because everyone else senses the awkwardness.
I personally enjoy going out with my friends and I wanted to make a post of what I order for those of you who have had issues in this area.
1. Arnold Palmer – Sounds sophisticated, looks like a beer, but it’s just iced tea and lemonade.
2. Coke in a rocks glass – With a lime on the side. Looks like Jack and coke.
3. Cranberry and redbull – Looks like a mixed drink. Gives you wings.
4. Gin and Tonic, hold the gin – If people ask you what you’re drinking say, a tonic. They will assume it’s a G&T and say, “nice!”
5. San Pellegrino – If you are thinking about ordering a water, get this.
But what if people are doing shots?
Discreetly speak to the waitress and tell her to fill your shot glass up with water because you have work in the morning. She will smile and hook it up.
When the waitress comes back for drinks again just tell her, “I’ll have another.”
Oh, and most importantly, have fun!
Nobody likes the sober guy staring at everybody when everyone else is laughing and having fun. Smile, crack jokes, turn up, etc.
Please feel free to add any other ideas in the comments below. I prefer if they are related to the post and not condescending toward people who don’t drink. I will make sure to update this post whenever I come up with new ideas.